Your body keeps signalling you that it’s time to stop and recharge. You don’t realize this or chose not to listen. Maybe it’s a busy week, there’s lots that needs to be accomplished and you’re on a tight schedule or you’re simply too preoccupied to properly focus on your needs. All no-no’s of course, from a health and wellbeing perspective, but for many of us still our reality.
So what do you do when you wake up one day, completely overcome by sickness? Whether it’s a nose/throat/ear infection, the flu or simply a cold, here are my go to’s when I’m in a pinch.
– Take a hot bath! Just hot water will do but you can always add a few drops of essential oils, a handful of sea salt or a some healing herbs to make it even better!
– Diffuse some essential oils throughout your house. Peppermint, lemon, oregano, lavender and tea tree are just of few of the many options. Chose according to your ailment and/or individual preferences and needs.
– Drink some freshly squeezed lemon juice with raw honey. Add water if you prefer drinking it as a lemonade. This heavenly combination is much more than a refreshing, hydrating drink. The vitamin C in combination with the antiseptic, anti-inflammatory proprieties of honey alleviates the symptoms while giving your immune system a much needed boost.
– Have a cup of hot ginger tea with honey. Just like honey, ginger is also one of nature’s antibiotics.
– Spray some Propol directly into your throat. You can buy it online, at a local pharmacy or you can make your own. The original version of this spray only contains 3 ingredients : water, propolis tincture and lemon essential oil.
Eliminating infection and inflammation
– Put some onion or garlic on/in the ear.
– Lie with your ear on a warm, salt-filled sock. Be very careful when heating up salt! I once used my microwave to do it and created a mini vulcano in the process. 😬
– Put some olive oil or Otosan drops in your ears. Otosan can be purchased online or at your local pharmacy.
– Gargle with apple cider vinegar and/or salt water.
– Apply grated potatoes, imbibed in alcohol and wrapped up in a towel, on the swollen lymph nodes. Do it for as long as possible ( a few hours at least ).
– Rinse your nose with salt water. Buy physiological serum online or at the local pharmacy or just make your own. Careful not to use too much salt! You can really damage your sinuses if you overdo it. Pour the drops in your nasal cavities while lying on your back. Let the drops do their work. Continue until your nose is all cleared up and the drops easily reach your throat.
– Have a cup of thyme tea. Thyme is great for your respiratory system in general.
– Smell a peppermint essential oil container or apply some drops of it ( in combination with your favorite carrier oil ) on your back and chest.
Building the immune system
– Drink loads of ( hot ) fluids ( water, tea, infusions, soups ). When feverish it’s essential to keep hydrated and ( warm ) liquids relieve pain and aid in the healing process.
– Temporarily eliminate all COFFEE , ALCOHOL, SUGAR, WHEAT and MILK from your diet. Avoid tobacco smoke – even second hand – at all costs. Eat/do nothing else that weakens your immune sytem or promotes inflammation.
– Add plenty of curcuma, ginger, oregano, cayenne, cinnamon , thyme, black pepper, apple cider vinegar, honey, propolis, polen, .. to your food/drinks.
– Don’t forget to relax and rest as much as possible! Sleep as much as your body tells you to!
Because I really don’t enjoy being sick I ( usually ) rock at illness prevention. I do this by making sure my body is happy and my immune system is functioning at it’s peak. Here are a few ideas on how you can also prevent infections, colds and the flu.
– Make this amazing ‘magic potion’ and take a few spoonfuls daily.
– Rest and get an adequate amount of sleep on a daily basis.
– Avoid stress, relax often and remember that self care is key! Meditate, go for a run, take a bath, do some yoga, read a book, watch some tv, cook.. do anything that helps you relieve stress and promotes a sense of personal wellbeing.
– Eat healthy! Yes, have the cake, eat the candy – don’t worry about it too much. But don’t forget to regularly supply your body with all the nutrients it needs for optimal functioning as well as with the many herbs and various probiotics that help mend and maintain it.
– Keep your body warm. Being cold weakens the immune system. Don’t wear too much out of fear either. Just dress according to your personal needs.
– Open your windows often. Fresh air is everyone’s friend!
– ‘ A hug a day keeps the doctor away. ‘ Really! There’s nothing more powerful than love and touch when it comes to health. ( I know how it sounds, I really do! But look, science agrees ->Touch Fights Disease )
Have a wonferful fall! 🤗